<

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Starting over...

Don't worry. My house didn't burn down, or get trashed by a hurricane.
In fact, some people will laugh when they discover the meaning of "Starting over...".
About three weeks ago (approximately) I installed a new video card into my PC, and when I restarted my machine, my hard drive crashed. I'm still not 100% positive as to why a TWO YEAR OLD harddrive crashed (most hard drives last a lot longer, I'm told) but I think it might have something to do with the fact that I knocked the harddrive cable going into the motherboard slightly ajar whilst installing the new video card. This, combined with attempting to go into hibernate (via Windows XP), somehow corrupted my entire hard drive leaving nothing to salvage. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero. Nothing.
Things I lost include, but are not limited to: games, documents, music, pictures, programs I purchased online, a buttload of emails, and my newest, yet to have been uploaded, version of my website.
Of course, I was devestated at the loss, but relieved when I found out I still had a waranty on my Maxtor hard drive, so I ordered and recieved a new one rather quickly, and now have to send in the old one so they can verify that it is indeed fried.
Now most people would laugh and say its just a computer, but I had a lot of crap (in the good sense) on that hard drive, most of which was not backed up (I know I can't get mad at anybody but myself for that one) but luckily I was able to get back a lot of what I lost.
For example, I was surprised when Apple Inc. allowed me to redownload all my iTunes music.
Although I still have to rerip all the music CDs I own...
But alas, I have gotten my PC running at tip top shape (after purchasing a more powerful CPU to satisfy the insatiable appetite of my power hungry new video card.) and hope to continue on with the endeavors that my PC facilitates (artistry, music downloading, website/webpage stuff, etc.). Now if only I could back up my blog...

Until next time... Peace.